UHF Converter
Turner TV-3

The Turner Microphone Company, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, started out in 1931 making PA systems and grew to be one of the top microphone makers in the US. (They also were the largest maker of embalming machines!) Like many radio and electronics companies, they got into the booming TV accessory business in 1951 as a way of expanding their product line.

This was Turner's only entry into the UHF converter market, and it used the cabinet from their model TV-2 booster, with the addition of a decorative gold-tone metal front plate. It may well have been introduced only shortly after the TV-2, in late 1952, to jump on the UHF bandwagon. The electronics are made by Radio Receptor, and are quite substantial in construction, and a tight fit in the bakelite cabinet.

The circuit uses three slug-tuned cavities, two as input bandpass filters and one as the local oscillator tuning for the 6AF4 triode. The 1N82 diode mixer is followed by a broadband IF filter and then a cascode-connected 6BQ7A dual triode. The power supply is notable for using a 6X4 full-wave rectifier, where most of its contemporaries used half-wave selenium rectifier stacks.

Updated January 1, 2018